• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

power rake or airate

Nelso

I have sodded front lawn that is probably 6-7 years old. I kept the height longer this summer due to the excessive heat. I also have a sprinkler system that kept it lush and green. However, now I have begun to start cutting it shorter. One setting every other mowing and now the front looks somewhat brown. It seems like there is a lot of thatch in the lawn, but it also seems so thick that I dont know if it is choking itself out. Any thoughts on if I should airate or power rake? My mower setting is now right in the middle for my little cub cadet push mower. Thanks for any insight.

You're always going to have thatch. If you're concerned, your thatch buildup SHOULD be an inch or less.

As far as the grass turning brown.... when was the last time you fertilized?? That could be some of the issue. Also, as you cut the grass 'plant' shorter, you're going to get to the 'stem' of the plant, the blade or 'leaf' is green, whereas the part coming out of the ground it tan in color.

You're probably seeing that, more than the actual grass turning brown since you're cutting lower into the blade of grass.

I have lowered my mower also and the grass dosen't look as good as this summer. The other reply is correct. We are cutting more out the blade of grass off so it dosen't look as good. As for your question, my grass looks very good all summer. I airate in fall and fertlize the same day. In the spring I de-thatch and re-seed the same day. It works for me. With that said I don't think there is a wrong time to de-thatch or airate.

Shane

Thanks for the info. I think the yard may have been a little hungry as well. I put down Lesco fall fertilizer a week to tens days ago. Now she is back to her normal color.