• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question for -HARVEY LEE-

Kyle

I was just reading the baiting deer thread in the HUNTING section, someone said they wouldnt hunt near a mineral lick; period. I know its legal here in MN, so I have two 25lb blocks about 30yds from one another. I put them out mid summer. Its my good spot from last year too. Why wouldnt someone want to hunt next to them? I heared that deer dont use minerals as much in the fall, but it is still in the middle of the main route they take to get to there grazing spot. Is this going to hinder me this weekend?

The mineral block wont hinder you at all. Some hunters just choose not to hunt by mineral blocks or any spot that did have some other type bait they were using to attract deer. Some deer hunters believe that it is unethical to hunt by any type bait and its not fair chase.

As long as you are not breaking the law you can do whatever you feel is right. Its a personal issue for each. In North Dakota where I deer hunt it is legal to bait and some do and some choose not too,again its a hunters choice.

I hope this helps and answers your question.

Ditto what HL said. Just wanted to respond since I made that post. I choose not to hunt near the mineral lick mainly because I've had my camera up there all year and visited it once a week leaving my scent all around. I just hunt a ways down the trail from it. It's a personal theory and not one that is scientific by any means.