• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any home made compost starting ideas?

Swill

I started a compost pile last June, and I have seen a few companies that offer compost starting kits. They claim to "get things heated up"

Any natural or home made things a person can add to speed up the process? Would adding black dirt help or would that just introduce weeds?

Thanks

Swill

I was just reading an article about compost, so I thought I'd chime in on this one.

Did you add any manure or soil to start with? The beneficial microbes come from the layer of soil that you usually top your first pile with.

The suggested layering for starting a pile would be:

branches or twigs on the bottom (if your pile is started on the ground and not in a barrel type compost container),

then alternating layers of carbon material (leaves, garden trimmings) and nitrogen material (kitchen scraps, cattle or sheep manure), with a thin layer of soil in between. Top it off with a 4-6 inch layer of soil. Turn as new layers are added, and water enough to keep it moist.

According to the article, it should take two months to make the compost. When I composted regularly, I used the barrel method. I bought a plastic outdoor type garbage can with a locking lid, and drilled a few holes in the bottom for excess water to drain out of. I then layered it starting with a thin layer of soil first instead of the branches. To turn it, I just tipped it onto its side and rolled it a little bit. Instead of cattle or sheep manure, I used hog manure because it was readily available (we raise hogs).

Quote:

I started a compost pile last June, and I have seen a few companies that offer compost starting kits. They claim to "get things heated up"

Any natural or home made things a person can add to speed up the process? Would adding black dirt help or would that just introduce weeds?

Thanks

Swill

The thing that will help the most, is to be able to turn it somehow. If you ever go to a city's compost pile, they are constantly turning the pile over.

Adding some fertilizer may help as well, as well as keeping it damp. Not wet, just damp.

I know that back in the day, when I used to bag lawns and leave the wet heavy grass in the truck for 3-4 days, by the time I pushed it out, it was already breaking down and steaming.