• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Puppy Weening

1runhotshot

I have a nice litter coming up of Yellow Labs. It has been about 4 years since the last batch so I need a refersher course. They will be going home about 49 Days but here is the question. What is the average time to ween them? Teeth get sharp in a hurry and I would think that sucking really smarts! If I remember it is about 4-5 weeks. Looking for opinions.

I start at 3-3.5 weeks and end at around 4.5 weeks depending on the litter size and the female's ability to produce milk. Make the 1st gruel very moist and runny. They take to it pretty quickly.

Good Luck!

Ken

Throw a couple pieces of hard food down at the time Lab's suggested. If they try to eat them, they are ready to wean. Be careful with the hard pieces as they could possibly choke a bit on them in the enthusiasm to be a big dog.

As Labs stated it is up to the Mom really. If you have a huge litter you may be bottle feeding anyway for some of the time. If you do then when it is time to wean add the milk replacer to the dry puppy food and put in a blender and fill with water. Once the stuff has sucked up all the water add some more and blend. Then feed in pie tins. They can still nurse on Mom but this will help the transition. By 5 weeks Mom will be wanting nothing to do with the little monsters.