• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Family portrait - post your efforts.

I finally wrangled everyone together for a family photo the other day.

1243965630_e1ffa43dfe.jpg

from my flickr page. Large version here

Strobist info: SB-600 off camera at camera left. Triggered via Nikon CLS. Nikon D80 in commander mode. SB-600 set at 1/4 manually via commander menu. SB-600 with 'abetterbouncecard' shot up at ceiling to diffuse down and forward. Natural window light from camera right. Two 2x3' posterboard reflectors on floor angled to lift some light up.

Notice I shot at 1/20 sec. I wanted to keep my iso reasonably low at 200 but compromised up to 320. I went to the online DOF calculator and aimed for 3-4' of acceptable focus since we were in two rows. With a 50mm lens and focusing at 10-11 foot that meant f/5.6. Ambient light plus flash meant I had to go down to 1/20 sec. Used infrared remote to trigger.

Workflow:

Adobe Lightroom: Cropping to 8x10. Overall exposure adjust. Some mild curves adjustment. Selection of 2 photos that had the faces as desired. Opened in Photoshop as 16 bit TIFF

Adobe Photoshop: Using image place, I composited the two pictures to have the best expressions from each photo. Gaussian blur, highpass etc.

This one is based on previous critique. I masked the eyes and mouth from the gaussian blur.

Camera: Nikon D80

Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)

Aperture: f/5.6

Focal Length: 50 mm

ISO Speed: 320

Exposure Bias: 0/6 EV

Flash: Flash fired