• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Crappie Bite

Craigums

I was wondering if the crappie bite picks up again in the fall... I seem to have have very good luck fishing for them this spring in a small local lake but as summer moved in the crappies became almost non-existant, What would be the best approach to use this fall? same approach as i used this spring? Its a very shallow lake with little bottom stucture, and lots of lily pads

"Picks up again"? confused.gif

I didn't know it slowed down. shocked.gif

I don't know how you fished them in the Spring but in the Fall I line to go vertical and slow. There may be times when the fish will chase good and attack a moving bait but I have my best luck watching my line and looking for the fish to take the weight off the jig. I plan on trying a little more slip bobber fishing this Fall but weighing the bobber so it barely floats might be key so the "up" bites can be detected.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Later,

Corey Bechtold

Your springs tactics should work just as good as for fall as the Crappies will again congregate and come in to the shallows to feed.

In small lakes they are likely to hold out in just one or two specific areas. One thing to take notice is the lake water levels and how it will affect where the Crappies choose to hang out.

In the spring I just cast and reel with a 2'' power grub out in the center of the lake. The lakes deepest parts are 8 feet deep with almost no structure. But once summer came around I could only get sunnys on that tactic

I also like to vertical jig this time of year (as Corey stated). Small jig and minnow over the side of the boat and look for them on the Vex. Once you find them slip bobber works but just less hassel to jig. I just drift with the wind so I move up and down alot to go to the fish just like hard water fishing grin.gif one other note is I always try to stay under them for a second as the bigger fish seem to be at the bottom of the school.