• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Darton SL50

bowser

My son was just given an old bow from his grandpa. It doesn't appear to be adjustable draw length. It is ~25 years old and probably needs a new string at the minimum. How much time and money is it worth to make it worthwile? I know there is sentimental value, but this is his first bow and I don't want him to get discouraged about bowhunting. What would you folks do, stick money into it, or incourage saving for a new one?

Thanks, bowser

I did a little research and found that this model sells for around $50-$75 all set up and some with arrows. I dont believe you can adjust draw length. I have no idea what it might cost to get it in shooting order. They would need to check cams and string. Looking at what it may cost to get it all set up and then hoping that it will even be the right draw length might be the wrong direction.

I guess I would go to a shop and check to see if the bow fits him first and then see how much it may cost to get it into shooting form.

In the long run he may be happy with it for now but not far into the future he may want something better. Alot of changes have come along since that bow was on the market.

In its day it was a good bow. Personally I would probably go with the saving up of a little more cash and look at a used bow that is a bit newer. Unless of course he wants to hunt with grandpa's bow.

the draw length can be adjusted! ( i sold and serviced many of them! grin.gif) you will need a bow press to do so though. with the bow relaxed in a press, htere is a set screw in the center of the wheel. this keeps the cable from slipping. if you loosen it , you can slide the cable in or our( make longer or shorter)if you do/have some one do this; two things to be carefull of! if you shorten it, be certain the cables on the wheel don't over lap.( this can allow the cable to slip of the wheel. )if you make it longer, then after there is tension on the bow, check to make shure that the cable coming out of the wheel is not more than 90 degrees pass center .( in relation to the string!) BEFORE TIGHTENING THE SCREWS, MEASURE THE CABLES SO THEY ARE THE SAME DISTANCE FROM THE WHEEL !!! as always , there is only so much adjustment , but it would be worth a try. if i can be amy more help , let me know! del

Does anyone have any guesstimates on what it would cost to get it set up? His current draw with it is that it comes back about an inch behind the corner of his mouth. It seems to me that trigger releases are a lot nicer to start out with, which would mean that it would have to be shortened considerably. Thanks for all the info and advice!