• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icehouse Gourmet

kwkfsh

Want eat good on the ice this season, but the only recipe you know is how to boil water? No i'm not talking about tuna suprise and baloney rollups. Heres a hot tip that can make you a legend with your buddies. Although this does reguire a vacuum sealer such as a foodsaver, the only other thing you need is a pot of hot water. When you have leftovers at home just vacuum pack and freeze them. Bring them with to the iceshack and when dinner time rolls around just boil up a large pot of water and throw the bags of food in. Just letem boil for 10 to 20 mins. depending on what it is. Then just pull out cut open and serve. the food comes out perfect and you can't even mess it up. Serve on paper plates with plastic silverware and the only thing you have to clean up is one pot of hot water. I'll bet you could find some leftover turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes,and pumpkin pie, at this years thanksgiving dinner. Serve that up in the shack and your buddies will talk about it until the day they die!! This can be done with just about any food and is sinfully easy. Some of the things that I have done this with are lasagna, various pastas, garlic bread, blackened chicken breasts, pork chops, baby back ribs, gumbo, primerib, stews, casseroles, meatloaf, pies ( oh baby, warm pie on a cold night with a hot buttered rum )cobblers, sausages, shrimp scampi, turkey in gravy, stuffing, mashed taters, any kind of veggie, grilled or fried fish, dinner rolls, soups, rice, sauces, oh well i'm sure you get the picture and I just made myself really hungry. Give this a try and you will never go back to the beef sticks and pork rinds. After you loosen the belt, just dump the empty bags and paper plates in the trash and your cleanup is complete, should take about 30 seconds. Bon Appetit!!!

Another "shack food" idea, one that is a hit with the people I icefish with, is to bring a batch of chowder(see recipe section) without the fish, filet a few from the catch on the ice and add fresh fish. Also chile and corn muffins are an eternal favorite.

Clean up of dishes in the winter is a snap, simply scrape out leftovers into a garbage bag, fill dishes with snow, allow to stand breifly to freeze, and scour with snow, dishes get very clean this way, and is alot easier than messing with dishwater and such. Dispose of the "dirty" snow in the garbage bag and pack it out with you.

I have been thinking of picking up a toaster oven for the shack. Since I have never used one I don't know what they are capable of cooking. Can I cook small pizzas, biscuits, rolls, cookies...in one or is this an idea that would be better to forget about?

the boil in a bag is a great idea . I was shown many years ago when there was not a vacuum sealer and we used a daisy seal-a-meal . now I have a vacuum sealer but for boiling either work great. In the summer the frozen food acts as ice . what I do is use a Coleman stove and boil the water outside for obvious reasons. At deer camp I always have a big turkey dinner and we eat like kings. give it a try ,you can't believe what you can think of to use.metro