• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Directional flushes?

Jameson

Does anybody else's dog flush tight holding birds towards the hunter? Do dogs ever get trained to flush birds toward the hunter?

One of my dog's will "go around" on tight holding birds and flush them directly at me. Seriously, first he'll go to his very poor tail-wagging-point(not-trained), then work his way around to attempt to flush the bird directly at me! It can make for some exciting action. I first noticed it a little last fall on wild pheasants, and really noticed again recently with preserve birds. I have in no way intentionally trained the dog to do this, he has picked it up on his own. I think he was getting tired of me missing, and is just trying to help! Anybody else?

I can't say that I have had that experience (at least consistently) from a flusher other then related to the wind direction. We all like to work into the wind but periodically I end up working a cross wind or slightly down wind and I have had my dogs do that but I have always thought it was more related towards working back towards the wind. In cross wind or down wind situations, experienced dogs will learn how to use the wind direction and circle back to use the wind to their benefit, which sometimes leads to flushes towards the hunter. Not sure if that is what you're encountering?

When I first started hunting, our dog did that. He'd circle them and flush them towards my dad. He's on dog #3 and it never fails every year we'll be walking and the "I wish he was here" story comes up.