• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carpentar Ants

Sergeant Slabber

We had a real bad water problem in our old house and after fixing the problem we used I think bug be gon or something similar. It is suppose to work for up to 6 months but I dont know if that holds true to outside areas. Diazinon (sp) is probably the prefered method if you dont have pets.

carpenter ants are very common in MN and I see them all the time especially in silver maples. I'm sure they enjoy the free sugar water from the sap of these trees. I'm not sure of any treatments, but I know they are out there. Talk to someone at a lawn and garden place or a nursery. Most of the big box places won't have a clue if an insecticide may harm your tree or other things in your yard.

Sgt. Slabber, we have the Bachmans in EP or there are a couple of nurseries in Chan and of course the Arboretum in CHaska may be a good resource.

We had a problem with carpenter ants inside our house. We noticed them around the dishwasher and kitchen sink. They are a pain in the rear to try and get rid of yourself.

I brought in the big guns and called Plunketts. They found the nest in a dead stump back in my woods and sprayed it with some stuff that is so powerful they can only do it twice a year. I can't remember the cost, but I think it was under $200. I know it sounds a little steep, but those little buggers are not a good thing to have around a house. I figured I would probably spend that much on over the counter stuff, but I didn't want the headache of doing it myself.

(Ceder home on a wooded lot + carpenter ants = not a good thing)

CA