• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Boilie recipe?

Eric

I don't use boilies anymore. In my experience, they work better for cats than carp.

But, if you want to find out on your own, type: carp anglers group into google. They have a message board that has a forum devoted to boilies, fishing them, making them and recipes.

My fav is field corn simmered in sugar water with a secret Kool Aid blend.

Tom B

Thanks Tom, I go to C.A.G. often. I have used corn and dough in the past with great success. Thought I would change it up a bit this year with boilies.

I guided an Englishman for carp on the Mississippi - he used boilies, we used corn.

Corn outfished boilies 2 to 1 on carp, but his high-protein and blood-based boilies killed the channel cats.

The boilie that worked best was made out of corn. He brought about twenty pounds of boilies in dozens of flavors.

In my humble opinion, the only real reason to use boilies in Minnesota is if you are in an area with a lot of small carp and want to catch only the big ones. To do this, make up some corn boilies almost the size of a golf ball.

You basically make it by mixing eggs, base mix, and flavor into a stiff dough. You then roll up the dough into boilie balls and boil them for 1-3 minutes (the longer you boil them, the harder they get). It's easiest to do this by putting them in a sieve and plunking the sieve full of boilies into a boiling pot of water. When they're done, dry them on paper towels. Freeze them in a ziplock bag.

For base mix, most people use flour. Soy flour is supposed to be good, you can use corn flour, wheat gluten, etc. I use plain whole-wheat flour. You can incorporate other things, like dog/cat food, fish meal, instant mashed potatos, baby cereal, graham cracker crumbs, blood meal, spirulina powder, whatever you think the carp in your area would like. Most people add a good amount of sugar to the base mix to sweeten it. Some swear by molasses.

Flavorings to consider are vanilla, anise oil, creamed corn, salad dressing, boullion cubes, pea soup, blood, ground liver, spinach, refried beans, almond extract, etc. I stay away from meat and fish-based flavors because they attract lots of small channel cats.

You can give them color with food coloring if you want. I've heard that microwaving them can make them float just off the bottom, which helps in deep mud to make your bait easier to find.

You attach them with a baiting needle and a standard boilie rig, which is tied with a bait loop and stopper. Push the baiting needle through the boilie, snag the bait loop on your hook through the hook on the baiting needle, then pull it back through and cinch it up on the stopper.