• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Sled, New Suspension

SnoManX

I'm looking at buying a used XC-10 suspension to put into an 1990 Indy. Has anyone ever tried this? Are the tunnel holes the same? Does anyone know where I could get a good used suspension?

The xtra 10 will not fit your tunnel. I helped a friend put an xtra 10 and tunnel on a 1995 XCR 600. Not fun. Over a 100 rivets to drill out and rerivet the new tunnel on. He got the tunnel for free, slightly bent, and the suspension for under $100. If you can find a tunnel and suspension combined for under $200 it may be worth it if you plan on keeping the sled and it is in good shape. You will also need a good day of labor, know how and correct tools, such as an air riveter to install the hardened blind rivets. As far as getting a used suspension, I do not know of a good place to find them.

It will fit. All you need to do is grind the rivets and move the locating brackets. Depending on the skid that you buy the front can just be redrilled. The rear bracket will have to have the rivets ground off on the inside of the tunnel. Then you remove the bracket, drill new holes and rerivet the bracket. Example, if your buying a skid from a 1996 XCR, measure the distance from the jackshaft to the front locating hole. Drill your new hole there. Then measure the rear hole from the top of the tunnel down and from the new front holes back. The front arm does not need to be exact, but have it close. Theb rear holes have to be pretty close or the suspension will not work properly. You can install the X-TRA 10 of the newer skids as well. It's not too bad of a job, really. Just be sure to take the measurements from the donor sled that the skid is from.

That's a lot of work for something that will most likely ride worse than just leaving the original skid in the sled. I'm not saying the xtra 10 is bad but as mudweiser said you need to get the measurements correct. Plus you'll need special tools to properly rivet in the rear mounting plate. Pop rivets will not hold. I'm betting this sled has probably has seen it's better days anyway. I'd just look for something a bit newer. You should be able to find a late 90's sled for less than $2000. Maybe that's out of your budget, I don't know.