• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

setting up privacy fence

colonel42

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to connect a privacy fence to my patio. I have a hot tub set up on a 18' X 20' concrete patio. I was looking at buying 2 prebuilt 6' X 6' PVC wall sections. I believe the posts are 6". I really hate to break up a portion of the concrete to sink a post into the ground. I was wondering if maybe I could have someone make me a sleve that the 6" post would fit into and connect it with some kind of bracket using concrete anchors. On one end towards the top I can use an "L" bracket and attach it to the house but on the other end I worried about it flapping in the wind. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Colonel, I have a hot tub enclosed on a 13x 21 cement patio myself . A fence going around 3 sides and the house is the 4th side . I Built a fence using 4x4 green treated posts spaced every 6 feet and 6' high green treated fence boards and overlapped them an inch on each side to make it private and the painted it to match the house . I cemented in ALL the posts , Just put them at the edge of the patio and the 4inch jap between the fence boards and the patio just put some decorative rock and the grass won't grow in .The back wall of the fence is removable if you ever need to get the tub out . Just wrap some plastic around the bottom of the post before you cement it in place . when it drys pull the post out and remove plastic , this is a little hard. then reinstall post and wedge a shim in between post and cement base . IF need to take wall section out you only need to remove end boards and braces . I have a gate on it so I come down the deck stairs and walk into the hoy tub area. The gate is heavy and need to brace and use a turn buckle on it to keep it in form .Where it meets up with the house I put the posts right next to the house and only have a 1 inch gap between the house and fence , it is not connected to the house at all . I had to get new siding on the house last year and they had no problem with the fence in place .Put a few string of Christmas lights on the inside and your all set . We had a storm here a year and a half ago and blew down trees and my fence is still standing.

I noticed your from Hibbing . I'm from Hibbing myself , Class of '81. Left Hibbing in '83

Enids Hubby

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of setting up my privacy fence this weekend weather permitting. I had a buddy make me some sleaves that the posts will fit into and attached them to the concrete with 1/2" diameter bolts. I'm surprised on how stiff it makes it. I decided to make a sitting deck and will attach the end to the deck which will also hold it down better. Class of 82 for me. I left Hibbing in 83 too only to return for a few years and back to the metro for five more. Now I'm back to stay. Lets hope. Like they say there is no place like home.