• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question

pathogen

I've had Juncos picking seed off the ground beneath my feeders every winter for as long as I can remember. I've always considered them a ground feeder because only rarely have I seen one at my platform feeder--and then only briefly. But the last couple of days have had me doing a double-take as a pair are consistently feeding from my thistle feeder, and they have also been seen picking at my suet feeders. They are most certainly Juncos, but I don't have a picture of them. Is this really as odd as I think it is, or do they feed at anyone else's thistle feeders? I had just never seen this sort of activity in the past. Thanks.

That kind of junco behavior has been on the increase here too. They've also taken a shine to cleaning up around the sheep feeders outside. The corn screenings are essentially cracked corn.

Oh BTW, heard the name Steve Foss from Ely mentioned this a.m. on 'CCO during Jim Gilbert's Nature Notes. Cardinals are so beautiful; you guys get all the "unique" birds up there although you probably don't get pheasants at your feeders. grin.gif