• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to get bulrushes stared

jimd

If I can go to a private pond that is stocked with sunnies and crappies, how would someone put bulrushes in this pond. It is just a bowl shaped pond and want to put in bulrushes for protection from northerns that are in there. Do I have to buy the plants already grown and transplant them? Or is there seeds that a person can buy?

you are prob gonna have to buy them grown and transplant them. I did this at my summer internship a couple times, it is surprisingly easy to get them going once you put them in. But if you do get a lot of waterfowl in the area put up some snow fencing around the planted area and then hang plastic streamers across the area to keep birds out.

You may want to check with the DNR to see if you need a permit.

I have used started bulrush that I bought from the Ramsey County Correctional Nursery. Best to plant in spring, giving them a growing season to root. Will want to pre-order the plants. Muskrats may be a issue - they like to eat the plantings...also, beware the wave action (sounds like a small lake though)...will need to check on plantings frequently because they dislodge easy. might consider building wave break of sticks/tree limbs to better protect plantings.

good luck,

Failin'

best bet is to buy started plats from a good nursery, many wetland seeds need to overwinter in the cold to germinate and started plants will grow the first year. Here is a link to an excellent wetland plant seeding manual

web page

This is from the Minnesota Board of Soil and Water Resources and gives detailed instrcutions on seeding in wetlands