• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Something About A Vet In Willmar?

slotlimit

I would first like to say I'm not telling anyone where to take their dog or that this Vet is better then any other. For my first 3 dogs I went to South 71 Vet but being I moved to he Atwater area with my new dog I tried to get in with the vet in Atwater. She was so busy it was going to take a month before she could get to my pup. So I did some checking around in Willmar on prices etc. The Vet at Pet Welleness Center is a super nice guy and has done everything I have ever asked. One of the best things is the price. On Thursdays (he is only in the office on evenings I believe) you get 2 shots for the price of one.

Where is the Pet Wellness Center?

I used to goto a rural Spicer vet, he was cheap on the shots and spring checkup stuff but when it came time for xrays (for hip checking) or surgery, he couldn't do it, he'd refer me to Willmar Pet Hospital. In fact when my 12 year old lab developed a mammary tumor, he said nothing could be done, three months later we put her down because it had grown to the size of a grapefruit.

Then I got to thinking about the continuity of care and using one vet for the easy, cheap checkups and the other vet for the complicated stuff and decided for the dogs sake to pay a little more and just use one vet, Willmar Pet Hospital. When my 9 year old female lab developed 3-4 mammary gland tumors last summer, he operated and cut them off. I expect her to be around for a few more hunting seasons. I think I got bad advice from the cheap rural Spicer vet about my 12 year old dog.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

You might reach more people from the Willmar area if you put this under the Willmar forum....

Blackjack,

In all fairness to your rural vet, there is a big difference in the overall health of a 12 year old lab and an 8 or 9 year old one (think about a 60 year old person versus an 80-90 year old one). There could have been lots of factors there, but 12 is pretty old to be doing any major surgeries.