• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on dark house

Alex Walleye Fan

I have a portable house which has black canvas on top and yellow canvas on the sides. I am going to use the house for spearing. The issue is that the yellow canvas does not allow for a true "dark house". I was told that I could spray paint the canvas black. If so, should I spray the inside or outside or both? Is there a certain brand of paint to use? Any potential issues with spray painting the canvas black?

I have only used my dark green otter for spearing once and found that even though it's a dark color, the windows, door, and holes/tears seem to let light in anyways. You could get by, but the big pike don't get big by being dumb and shy from ANY light.

Rather than dink around with painting, I would recommend getting a decent sized, dark-colored tarp to throw over the house. This option might not be the best if you use it all the time, but then again if you're doing it all the time a darkhouse isn't too hard to build. Just an option.

I had a canvas spearhouse years ago that I tried that on,my only advise is don't spray the inside.When I left it on the lake overnight ,the frost from the night would melt when the heater was turned on and it would drip a oily film into the house from the paint clouding the hole.