• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Custom Snowmobile Auger rack input needed!! (pics included)

KrashR

Question

****I meant to post this in the ice fishing section so if an Admin could move it that would be great. I also can't get my link to work, it shows up fine in the preview, but then displays the whole path instead of a direct link.****

I might be going to finish this with the welder today so your input is needed ASAP.

So I already have a guy that welded me up the bars that connect to the sway bar mounts on my Arctic Cat. Now I need to figure out how to mount the auger to the bars. So I have one main question. Do you guys think that the Mad Dog ice auger carrier kit is sufficient enough to support the auger? Or do you think it would be a good idea to buy the pieces separate so that you get two fin grips to use one on each end of the auger so the powerhead is supported?

I am building this to fit my Jiffy 3 horse (don’t tell me about how it’s too heavy) and know that when I had a mount in my Otter and I stood it up the taller way that the connection between the auger bit and the gear housing started to get loose. Do you think I’m wasting my time having the extra fin grip or do you think if its getting custom build spend the extra money and build it right the first time?

I have attached two pictures, and the fin grip near the powerhead (circled in red) would be on a bolt that you could raise or lower so it evenly supports the weight across all points touching the mount.

The basic concept of my idea can be found on this post

Auger rack

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

1 answer to this question

My opinion on that Mad Dog auger mount.....that thing is a horrible design. For one that velcro isn't going to hold up once it gets covered in ice, water and snow. Its not going to hold the auger in when you go bouncing across the ice on the sled. I received mine for X-mas and after looking at it closer I don't want to have to strap the auger in 100% every time I'm done using it. You can't just set the auger in the rack without pulling the velcro tight. I ended up buying the auger rack from Ryan's Racks. It has a wide enought opening to cradle the power head right at the gear case. Much better support.