• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electrical lighting question

macminn

I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I'm not the greatest with electrical stuff, so need some help. I have my led lights (one tupe and 2 1157's ready to go into my portable. I have the switches, connectors, etc. to hook them up. A couple questions came up: I orignally was going to use coiled phone cords as suggested elsewhere on this forum, cheap, and easy to wrap around poles, etc. I don't know if there's different quality of those, but the one I picked up at fleet farm is hard to work with, the copper wires are miniscule, have to be smaller than 22 gauge. I don't know how I can strip them, and there's no way to use a quick connect spade type thing for them.

Question 2, I just got done hooking up a home theater system and have a whole bunch of speaker wire laying around. It's 16 guage, heavy vinyl cover on it, can I use that?

Thanks much in advance,

Mac

Copper wire is copper wire and it has no idea of what it is being used for. I can't say the same for the insulation on that copper wire. With the minimal current draw that you would have you would be ok with using the speaker wire, and being a 12V DC the chances of things going terribly wrong are pretty slim. Fuse it at the battery and things will be just fine.

Now if you want to use a coiled cord for your portable (very good idea) you have two options and a phone cord isn't one of them. Go to Fleet Farm and pick up a cigar lighter extention, it's coiled and around 16ga. You can also go to Northern Tool and pick up a coiled 120V extention cord that is pretty heavy duty and 12ga wire.

Hope that helps.