• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris sportsman ?

arcticcat400

hello i have a 2000 polaris sportsman 500 and the starter isnt catching and turning it over so i put in a new battery and it still does the same thing but then most of the time after i charge the battery it starts and also after u turn the key off the wheeler continues to run??? so any one have any ideas as to y this is thanks for any help

ps merry christmas

There are a lot smarter guy's on this thread than me, and will probably give you better options, but I will throw in my .02c anyway. I would start by checking out the ignition switch, I say that because if your ATV is still running after you've turned the key to the off position then that's telling me the switch isn't acting properly.

As for the starting problem, it is your starter. Polaris is known for these going out. Not so much on the 500's and up, but still known for it. Every one of my Polaris I had, had the starter go out. Check it. I think they are around $125 at shadetree.

Not shutting off is something not clean on the contacts to ground out for the shutoff. I had two like this and didn't find the problem for sure. I just lived with it, but I'm sure you could track it down if you wanted to.

Hope I helped a little. smile.gif

I used to have the same machine as you. I also had a starter issue but it didn't need to be replaced. I just took it out and gave it a good cleaning to get it back into working order and never did have another problem. you will need a clutch puller for this but it is not too difficult to do yourself. Good luck!