• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital conversion coming in 2009? What kind of TV's will work??

Mark Christianson

So with the digital conversion coming in 2009 (or whenever the final date really is), I thought it would be a good topic to put up for those not aware of it, or for those that do know and can share what they know.

I want to get a new TV(nothing large, just 24-27 inches), and I guess I would just like to get something that will work when the conversion happens, versus needing a "convertor" box or whatever is needed.

So apparently TV's with SDTV tuners at a minimum are required in order for your TV to work when the government requires the switch over.

Anyone in the know, have some good info on whats needed specifically?

The 2009 changeover really only affects people who receive their TV broadcasts using an antenna. Cable co's and the like are not required to broadcast in digital at that time. Just your local TV stations.

Even with that, it is a good time to look for TV's with HDTV tuners built-in so that it'll be completely compliant in the near future. There is so much HDTV being broadcast now that you'd do yourself a favor by buying one soon. It's amazing to watch. (Victoria's Secret show in HD tonight, BTW). grin.gif

Although a EDTV or SDTV will work, just go for the HDTV set and it'll be worth it.