• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4-year old lab... need help?

StrosLit31

I just got a 4-year female lab and the previous owner always had her kenneled up outside or inside of a garage. And she is very good in the house with not going on the furniture or bed and when she has to go outside she will let you know. But the first day i had to leave her alone to go to work, so i was gone aprox. 10hours. She went to the bathroom in the basement, where i put her when i leave. it is an unfished basement. That was the first time i left her alone and today will be the second.

Do you think she just needs to get used to the basement and a routine? Any thoughts or tips to prevent this?

Thanks

Adam

I would say it might just take some time for her to get used to holding it for so long. If she as always been in a kennel she could always go when she needed, now all of the sudden she is waiting 10 hours. Give her some time and I be she will be fine.

Do you have a neighbor or somebody aroudn that could let her out after say 5 hours? With time she might get better at holding it till you get home. We have a lab/cross that won't go in her kennel unless she absolutely has to. She will hold it till we let her out then do her business right away.

Well yesterday she was 2 for 2 for going to the bathroom before i got home. I am getting a portable kennel tonight from my brother to use, so hopefully that will help and then eventually she will get into a routine of going in the evening hours and then i can just leave the portable kennel door open and she can use it as a bed.

I wish i had someone that could let her out around lunch time but I just moved into a new neighborhood, so i dont know the neighbors that well yet.

Thanks for the info.

Couple things. Cut her off from food & water an hour before you'll leave. Let her out right before you leave so she can empty out one more time before you go. Also start training her to take a leak on command.

You really should build a kennel run for her if at all possible. 10 hrs is an awful long time for a dog to be cooped up in a crate.

Well yesterday was the first day she did not go to the bathroom in the basement. So i think she is getting used to it. we have been letting her out right before we leave for work everyday and i think she is just finally getting used to the schedule change. I have heard things before about training your dog to go to the bathroom on command. but how is this done? you have to go or you dont? and i would assume if she has to go when you let her outside she will go right away??

My lab and my brothers lab are both trained to use the bathroom on command. When you let the dog out to do its business just go outside with the dog and tell it what you want it to do. Just repeat the command over and over, e.g. "go pee......go pee.... etc." Then when the dog actually does what you are telling it, praise the dog and reward with a treat as well. It will take some time, but they will catch on. My brothers dog will even try to fake you out if she doesn't have to go. She will pretend to go to the bathroom and then run to the door. So she knows what you are asking her to do, but just can't do it. The other thing is to not let them tell you no. If they won't use the bathroom then I stay out their until they do. Don't get me wrong, if after 15-20 minutes they still haven't gone then I'll let them inside the house. Same with going #2, just tell them what to do until they do it and then reward them. Pretty soon they'll understand what you're trying to tell them. Good luck!