• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.30 cal AR-15 in the woods

catman71

I have a stand where a guy can only shoot about 50 yards. I thought it might be fun to use my AR-15 chambered in 7.62X39 this year.

The ballistics are similar to a 30-30 so it's not like it won't do the job, but my question is, how much grief will I get from people (or COs)who have no idea that a "black rifle" can be chambered in many things other than .223?

I would assume as long as the round is within legal limits to hunt...no one should give ya a hard time. I will be honest, I would probably do a double take seeing someone exit the woods during deer season holding a gun that has been traditionally chambered for .223. As long as you can show its chambered for a legal round....enjoy yourself.

Anyone who is familiar with the AR would know that there is getting to be more and more larger calibers available for them. I wouldn't think twice about using it....

JEV