• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabela's Cooker Smoker

My brother-in-law has a green one and loves it. He's a good cook any way but that cooker really is great. He smoked some chicken hind-quarters about a month ago and the flavor went through the meat and it was still very juicy. When you combine so many tools into one appliance you are going to lose some things but this one is a good buy.
My .02

I have the same unit. I bought it at Sam's club about 12 years ago. It is made by masterbuilt. Mine was the last unit and was the demo. Someone had taken the pot and basket off of it. Mine is gas. It is a great unit. I just used it last weekend to smoke 4 chickens and a 10lb pork loin. Since it is gas the heat is very controllable. I can use it anywhere since it is gas. It holds a ton of meat. I wish mine had the basket and pot ot cook fish. I have smoke fish, baked beans, turkeys, chickens, chicken drummies, baked potatoes, etc. Smoked baked beans are great. You would not be disappointed with this unit. I would suggest the stainless as it is easy to clean up.
Jim

I have one of these and love it, especially for use as a portable take-it-with-you smoker. Take it camping...put a turkey in in the morning, check the water every now and then, eat a turkey for dinner. I would suggest that you might be able to get one cheaper somehwere besides Cabelas. Check around...it will be called a Masterbuilt 7 in 1 cooker/smoker.

nick

aug:
hey. i've not used the model you are talking about, but heres another option.

http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/offset_smokers.asp

i've used this unit (american gourmet) for a few years, and am very happy with it. you can find one for under $100. for smoking small cuts, you can add in extra racks, and double your sq inches.
or the larger version (silver smoker) which has twice the sq inch cooking/smoking surface, which can be found for around $150.
the bandera i've never used, but it looks pretty sweet.
an awesome, versatile smoker/grill. you can cook indirect, direct, or smoke. easy to control the temp. slow cookin.
i've done venison jerky, smoked fish, turkey, chops. its also nice to smoke a chop or something for about an hour, then grill it on a hot flame. excellent flavors.
anyways, there's one more option to check into. now i'm getting hungry again.
-perch.