• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Horseradish

Nutty Fisherman

I wrote an article awhile back on horseradish:

Did a little digging (no pun intended) for information about horseradish and found some fascinating info. For instance, did you know that horseradish is a mustard family plant, native to Europe, and has been used for over 3000 years? That the Egyptians knew about horseradish as early as 1500 BC? That horseradish was one of the “5 bitter herbs” Jews were told to eat at Passover and is still part of Seder rituals today? That Greeks used horseradish as a lower back rub and as an aphrodisiac? (“So your back is a little sore there, honey? How about a little horseradish on that ice cream?”) Can see a big run on horseradish in area grocery stores after Mall for Men regulars read this. More facts concerning horseradish: In the US, 24 million lbs. of horseradish roots are harvested in order to make over 6 million gallons of prepared horseradish. The chemical that is responsible for the “hot” in horseradish is isothiocyanate. The longer the freshly ground root stands before addition of distilled vinegar, the hotter it becomes. For more information about horseradish, check out these websites:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h209horseradish.html

http://www.horseradish.org/

Have a patch myself and started it from the tops another guy had given me. I planted the tops in the fall after the growing season, covered all except the green, growing part, they got watered (rained) in and haven't done much with it since. They are tough. The wife is going to be gone this weekend so this may be my big chance to process some. grin.gif