• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

water force swim by

superfish2

Well after a very successfull summer of training and testing (NAHRA ALPA AKC) and in anticipation of running the upper levels next summer, I want to start working on swim by's and decheating.

I am trying to follow Evan Graham's smart works book. In his swim by his sets up a normal T. You introduce the back pile. Then introduce the over piles from the other over.

Here is where I get confused. You send the dog back, stop the dog. Send them for a lets say a right over. The dog goes for the right over and at the same time you move to the left over pile. You call the dog directly back to you at the left over.

You keep doing this until on both side until the dog expects to exit the water at the other over pile. With a send to the back cast every other one or more.

Ok now what?

You are supposed to do the same thing but just before the dog gets to you at the other over pile you move back to your orginal spot. The dog is supposed to exit the water at the other over. Then what do you whistle sit the dog go get her and walk her back to the starting place? If you just say here then she is bank running.

Then as move on to the next phase staying in the orignal place you the send the dog on a over the dog is supposed to still swim to the other end of the pond? Or swim to she is directly in front of you then come in?

Anybody have ideas?

Thanks

Joe

Superfish: You always want the dog to exit on the "over" ends of the pond.

The last step of the swim by is to send from the base, stop in the middle and give the over. Once the dog has picked up the bumper now give him/her a cast with the bumper in it's mouth back to the other end with an "over" cast.

When your dog can do this without any complications you are done with the swim by.

Here are the steps based on doing each step 2 days.

1) Indentify & line to pile

2)Force to pile

3)Stop to pile

4)Teach right "over" with left exit

5)Teach left "over" with right exit

6)Cast dog back & forth from one exit to the other.

DONE!!

I hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK