• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow water Crappies

fisherman-andy

With the cooler weather in all and now being Sept. I decided today to go out and target a metro lake that receives little fishing pressure for some early fall Crappies. Yes little fishing pressure. Some of you might think that is impossible in the Metro.

First of all the lake is fairly shallow and weedy and hard to access and fish from shore. There's also no boat access and it's very hard to carry in a canoe. Wading is a good option and that's what we did.

Fished from 6pm to Sunset and ended up with 9 Crappies, all 9 inches or bigger. Six 2lb+ bass and bunch of small ones. Lotsa bull bluegills, stop counting on that one. All fish were safely returned to the water.

The surprising part and it comes as a no surprise to me as I already know this is all the fish were caught in 2ft water. We caught no fish in deeper water. This is probably due to the lakes unorthodox structure. Most anglers find Crappies this time of the year in 6ft to 12ft water. We used panfish spinners, bettle spins, small jigs.

Wished I brought the digital camera but forgot it. Maybe next time...