• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Carp Experts?

Hi everyone, I really don't know alot about Carp fishing and haven't found the info I need reading past posts, so here's my question:

I want to fish for some Carp this coming weekend in a river that has little to no current, areas as deep as 16ft and stretches of the river running only a few feet deep. It has alot of bends and some back water areas with pretty shallow water 1ft-4ft and full of weeds, some emergant vegitation and some submerged with Generally muddy bottoms. I don't know alot about the species and/or the habits of the fish and locations they frequent, so where should I start looking for them and how should I go about it? grin.gif

I will also be fishing from a boat, just so you know. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

If carp are in the area, they should be using those shallow flats you talk about. In this case they may be visible; you'll most likely see tailing fish or mud lines from them rooting around in the bottom. Try tossing a bottom-rigged crawler or some corn into the area. Another tactic would be to fish an area outside of the weeds in maybe 4-8 feet of water with corn. Toss a few handfuls into the area you are going to fish(feeding the ducks of course), then thread as many kernels as you can fit on a #4 circle hook and let it sit on the bottom. It may take a little while for the carp to find your corn, but once they do you'll get into some good action. Just make sure to keep a close eye on your rod, as a carp will try to drag it into the river in the blink of an eye. Good luck. ~hogsucker

I was thinking the flats would be the better areas to target, but wasn't sure if they swim there all year round. I'm not sure if there is a huge population or not, but I've seen em, so I know they are in the river system. Wish me luck, I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the information.