• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sheephead (drum)

The fishing has been pretty bad around here lately, but i finally connected with some Drum last night. I guess when the fishing is bad everywhere else, you can always connect with something at the dam with a nightcrawler. Its been awhile since I ate sheephead. They are VERY good lightly breaded with lots of garlic and onion powder. I would highly recommend them if you are looking for a meal!

I'll third that. The drummies I've had were all pretty good. I have friends who won't touch 'em because of 2nd hand info that they taste muddy. I read up about it, and drums can take on a muddy flavor if exposed to certain algae, but then again, so can a walleye or crappie swimming in the same water. Do any of you guys keep the otoliths (ear stones)? Pretty cool.

Dave D.

There's a bulb-like capsule made of thin bone (behind?) the skull. You should be able to pop it open with a needle nose or a fillet knife(be careful with the knife, of course). There are two otoliths inside (there's a left and right otolith in the one capsule, if I recall right) sitting in an oily fluid. Apparently they were considered good luck in the old days. All fish have otoliths, as far as I know, but drums' otoliths are a lot bigger than the rest. The bigger the drum the bigger the otolith. They are made of calcium carbonate deposits. Next time you fillet a drum, open it up! It's kind of like the Toy Surprise in Cracker Jacks!! smile.gif

Dave D.

Interesting Factiod - if you take a slice out of a drum otolith and put it under a microscope, you can see growth rings that mark each year. Drum grow faster when summer temps are higher, which makes the growth rings farther apart. They also grow very slowly and live a very long time (70+ years) so you get a record of how hot the summers were throughout the life of the drum. By looking at drum otoliths collected from ancient Native American campsites, scientists can reconstruct the summertime temps going back for thousands of years.

Hey!! Maybe I'll do that! I just happen to have impulsively bought a dissecting scope for an aquatic insects class I took. I'll have to take a look at the otoliths under the scope. I need a special extension to take camera shots, though. Uhh... does slicing a drum otolith bring seven years bad luck, though? wink.gif

Dave D.