• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

clicker training

jasongp99

Just curious if any one has used clicker training for their new pups? Looking to get my first hunting dog and picked up a book that went through some methods for basic training and thought it sounded good. Any thoughts from any one. If it matters this would be for a lab.

I don't know all the particulars of clicker training. I know one gal who trained her show dogs and agility dogs with clickers, but I would think that it would be a pain to use when out hunting, plus I don't know the effective distance of a clicker.

All the trialers and the trainers can't be wrong when they use a whistle... easy to carry in your mouth even while carrying a gun, good long range commands, always available on the lanyard around your neck...

Good Luck!

Ken

What I have read is it's used to learn the basics...sit, stay, kennel and what not. Not used for hunting. You use it to get a young dogs attention with the click and reward with a treat after the command is followed through. You slowly phase it out once the dog understands the commands and knows he will be rewarded with the treat. You then would have to field train using another method.

jasongp99,

I would refrain from using the clicker or any method rewarding the dog with treats for your basic obedience commands.The pup needs to learn to obey these commands because they are told to do it, not because there is a treat for compliance.

The pups name being said will be enough to gain its attention followed by the command. One thing to keep in mind is make sure the dog knows one command before training in another one. For basic obedience a simple choker properly sized & used properly will be all you should need to get your pup trained in obedience.

For a properly sized choker you want the choker slack when pulled snug to the dogs neck to be no longer than your index finger. This will allow you to make quick corrections to the pup. Another thing is you can never over train obedience, this should become a daily training regemine, but keep it short & fun for both you & the dog.

The order of commands taught is up to you. This is the order my dogs were taught.

Heel,Stand,Down,Stay,& Come.(I have a pointer so no "Sit" command)

I don't know if you have any retreiver clubs up in your area. It might be helpful to contact them & see what their schedule is for obedience classes. My opinion on the local big pet store chain classes are they are a waste of your hard earned cash. The only things learned in these classes are to sniff rears with non field working dogs & no real obedience techniques being taught.

Good luck with your pup! Just my .02 cents.

Chris

I agree NO TREATS when training your dog. You are only teaching them to obey if there is a gain in it for him. They should obey because they are given a command. Their reward is your praise... not something in the belly.

Good Luck!

Ken