• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone here have a springer from CarleesCritters/Tom Miller?

Powerstroke

I was curious if anyone on FM has ever purchased a pup from Carlee's Critters and Tom Miller. They have a new set of pups that are about 3 weeks old.

My wife and I are looking to get our first puppy and really like these ones. I've been reading as much as I can about choosing a breeder and choosing a puppy.

Just looking for some feedback or personal experiences with them or their dogs.

There are usually quite a few puppies around so a guy can take his time selecting one. Please take your time and check out breeders, just as you are doing with your post here. Don't rush into anything. In the long run you will be much happier. Did you do a Google on the breed or on breeders? Might find you some info on this outfit. Be cautious. Have fun and enjoy your new pup when you find one.

I don't know anything about Tom Miller's springers. I'm sure they're fine dogs. But if you want a hunting dog make sure you are getting field bred english springer spaniel breeding and not bench or show breeding. These are two completely different dogs. If it is a field bred springer somewhere in the pedigree their should be some FC and AFC or NFC and NAFC. I have been involved quite heavily with the Field bred spaniels and field trails in the past and I can't tell you how many hunters I have run across that thought they were getting a hunting dog but got a show dog that basically had all the hunting and athetic ability bred out of it.

Thanks for the tip Mille Lacs. I've been doing as much research as possible. Thats why I'm asking here....to see if anyone would like to share first hand experience about someone I'm interested in.

We're heading down on saturday to see the parents and the puppies to get an idea of the dogs.

Mille guy offers sound advice. An unfortunate fact of life in today's world is that there are backyard breeders on every corner and for EVERY breed. Puppy prices today have a lot of people breeding dogs to make a buck. Come up with a cute name for your "kennel" and crank out the puppies. You are on the right track doing LOTS of research. I hope you end up with a good healthy puppy bred for the field.

I know nothing of Carleecritters and their dogs... but I will say this. I spent a lot of time helping a friend find a good Springer out of a good breeding. We found a great breeder with awesome pups, so do your research... what should you look for? As an absolute minimum ask if all their dogs have clearances for degenerative joint diseases (hip and elbows), CERF for PRA and other Springer related eye diseases, and look to have some type of field titles in the pedigree... not just one dog WAY back 3-4 generations. I don't nessacarily buy into the thinking that every dog needs a title to prove the puppies competence in the field, but I'd say 1/2 the dogs in the pedigree should hold field titles (field trial champs FC or AFC or hunt test SH or MH) with 1/3 as a minimum. Both parents along with all 4 grandparents should hold proof of passing tests for inherited disorders OFA and CERF and this is a minimum, the more that do in the pedigree the better. Good dogs possessing all these minimums will be in the $400-$600 range. More high power field trial breedings will be in the $500-$800 range. Look to recieve a minimum health guarantee of 26 months as the OFA will not give a hip or elbow evaluation until 24 months and it takes 4-6 weeks to get the results back. CERF evaluations are best done at 8-16 weeks of age. Good luck with your search... remember, no matter what litter of pups you look at, they'll be cute! Make sure you are confident that will grow into the DOG that you desire.

Good luck!

Ken

mille guy and powerstoke, I got my dog from a breeder from Iowa. He is now four months old and doing great. I did alot of research to find my springer and found alot of breeders that had puppy's from dogs that haven't even had there hip's, elbows or eye check becuase the dog's they are breeding aren't even two years old yet! there is a good HSOforum that I found for alot of good information and breeders. www dot essft (Contact Us Please).

if you have any question email me at fentonm38 at hotmail (Contact Us Please)

thanks

You might want to put Pine Shadows (Brainerd) on your list of breeders to check out. The dogs are not cheap, puppies are $1,000 but they do guarantee the dog and, based on my conversations, they have an excellent reputation. We purchased a started dog from them early this year and have been happy with the dog- haven't hunted her in field conditions but she has a good disposition and appears to have all the making of a good hunting dog. Our first springer was a backyard breeder $100 dog.....we spent many times that amount in vet bills which is why I've become a proponent of reputable dealers that provide guarantees.

I actually found Royal Legacy last night and sent them an email about their dogs.

I'm also looking at a place called Cedar Knoll.

I appreciate the helpful guidance. There is so much out there to consider when you want to purchase a hunting dog.

For those who were helpful I appreciate it alot. We settled on a breder called Cedar Knoll Kennels. They are NW of Fairbault kinda where Valv lives....

Anyway, I'm choosing between 2 litters of puppies. Both of the mothers have the exact same genetics. They are full sisters born of the same parents 1 year apart and both of the mom's were studded (?) by the same sire. 2 litters of puppies born 3 days apart with identical genetics. cool.gif

There were numerous FC and AFC titles in the pedigree. I was also very happy about the bloodlines since both dogs have grandparents coming from Pine Shadows' and Sand Creeks' dogs. I couldn't compain about that kind of history.

I tentatively chose 2 dogs I'm interested in, but we will be going back in a week or so to decide on the puppy we will buy.