• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basic Fish Fry

I never had much luck with different recipes for frying fish. I couldn't get a beer batter to stick to the fish. Tried pancake mix, shake an bake, etc. etc. So for me it was back to the basics, corn meal and seasoning, and it's been just great.

I like to use a large wok with a flat bottom.
Vegetable oil is fine but it must be hot. A few drops of water should instantly vaporize on the oil.
SEASON THE CORN MEAL NOT THE FISH. I use tons of cayenne pepper and garlic power with Mrs. Dash roasted garlic pepper and salt to taste.
Roll moist fillets in seasoned corn meal and into wok they go. Cooking time depends on type of fillets. Blue gills - about 30 sec. each side. Large white bass or catfish 1 min. 30 sec. each side. Watch the color, when golden brown their done.

I'm sure there are many out there who can improve on this simple recipe. Bring it on.
johann

hi johann,
i was reading your article and seen that you've tried to make a decent beer batter but have had some problems.well have i got some news for you! next time your at the store buy some (GOLDEN DIPT) onion ring batter and just follow the instructions on back,except where it say's add cold water this is where you add cold beer{must be 21 of coarse}j/k. this is by far the best i've ever eat'n and by the way if you can deep fry if at all possible. good luck and save me a bite!! free 'eye'