• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sandhills?

fishface

Are they about the same color as deer? There were two of them just N. of Big lake on 5, I think it was just N. of the Elk river, feeding in a field. Do you think they have a nest close by? I thought they were a pair of deer. Whoopers are white right? Anybody up here have a camera? I go by everyday I'll post if they are a reg. thing in the field, if someone does want to photo. them.

Wish I would've had a camera with me about three weeks ago. I was out walking this feild and I saw a pair of Sandhills...yup..rusty brown just like deer. They acted real nervous and flew off, I noticed some movement from where they took off from. Upon further inspection was a lone chick trying to stay as still as possible in the grass. Would have been an awesome picture of the little guy. I made a hasty retreat as I didn't want any predators in the area to spot him.

Mature birds are gray with white cheeks and a bare reddish forehead. Some of the mature birds’ plumage takes on a rusty color, which is caused by the iron stain picked up in the peat bogs and muskegs of their breeding ground.

just some FYI I dug up,

Summer plummage is rusty brown, just like a whitetail, it turns grey in the fall.

I've hunted them here in Idaho.

They look like falling lawn chairs whe you shoot one!

They are still there as of 7am Today. Maybe I'll try and get a pict with my little camera. It doesn't zoom in much but I'll give it a try. They look pre-historic.

in regard to the "reddish" coloration of the sandhills...they aren't really "red" like born with red feathers...it's part of the "preening process" in a sandhills lifestyle...here's a quote from the"international crane foundation"...

"In many areas, wild Sandhills preen iron-rich mud into their feathers creating a deep rusty brown hue which lasts during spring and summer. As fall advances, these rusty feathers molt and the birds return to their grayish appearance. In some regions, however, iron-rich mud is absent and the birds appear grey all year"....

soooo...the reason for the reddish color of a good percentage of sandhills...sandhill trivia...jonny grin.gif