• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Zumbra

My boys and I just started fishing this year and they love catching sunnies. We are looking at driving to Lake Zumbra (it's close and from what I understand has shore fishing versus dock) so I was wondering if anyone has been catching sunnies there.

Thanks!

Well first let me welcome you to Fishing Minnesota/ Hot Spot Outdoors! Glad you came aboard.

Now about Lake Zumbro. I really don't wish to make Zumbro sound bad, because it is a very good lake. But most of the shoreline is privatley owned. With the exception of the fishing accsess at Fisherman's Inn. It is best fished by boat.

Now if your looking for a fast and furious sunnie bite I might suggest a place east of Rochester about ten miles. It's called Chester Woods. There is some docks and trails to fish from. Or you could rent a canoe or paddleboat there also.

Are you talking about Zumbra just of Hwy 7 in Carver county? In that case lots of shore fishing as the county park extends over a lot of the south shore. Lots of sunnies in shallows. I would also suggest Stieger just of Hwy 5 before you get to Victoria as a possible shore fishing lake.

Thanks guys! I will have to try Steiger as well. I have taken the kids a couple times to Lake Susan because it is right next to where I work and close to the house but it has been pretty slow going. frown.gif

Scott

I would also suggest you try Auburn on the public fishing pier. I have had some good success with sunnies there this year. In the past they have been small but this year some of them grew up. wink.gif

My kids and I drove up to Lake Zumbra earlier today. Not only am I newer to fishing but also somewhat newer to the area so not sure if I was in the right place on the lake for shore fishing. I took Hwy 5 over to Park Drive and followed the dirt road, it eventually took me to a boat dock but I didn't see any spots where a person could fish from shore. The sign said it was Lake Zumbra so I had the right lake but maybe I was at the wrong spot on the lake. OR I don't quit know the definition of shore fishing - which is possible. So maybe you guys can help me out, when I think shore fishing I think of being able to stand in a clear opening on the bank (not standing in shallow water) with some room to "set up" and fish. Am I wrong? And more importantly was I in the wrong spot?

The only clear spots are fishing piers otherwise you are on your own. Since you were in the public park you can fish anywhere on the shore that is open enough. It is hard to find a spot to shore fish on a lot of the lakes.

FishingFather first off welcome. You were at the correct Zumbra Lake there. I've fished on shore a couple of time and have caught nice size Bass, Northerns, Crappies, and Sunnies there. But I wasn't fishing the boat launch area. For shore fishing there you have to walk the trails about a fourth a mile or so to get to the shore fishing spot. The trail is to the Left side and it takes you around the lake to the only shore fishing spot. But as you get there you can only fish the Right side of the lake as the left side is a different lake that is not allowed to fish at least thats what the park ranger/dnr guy warned me. email me if you have any questions. [email protected] will be glad to tell you more

i figured out if you go early there is noone at busy piers and plus the fish are more active i guess you have to work but if you can try it sometime