• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Maple Tree

JLE

I have a rather large Maple Tree in my front yard that I love, even after the leaves fall. I just noticed this week that there are a few dead branches in the crown, should I be worried? Are there actions I can take myself?

The level of concern depends on the type of dieback you're getting. If you have a few rogue branches that died off....no big deal. All trees self-prune in a way and get dead branches.

If it seems that there is a section of the tree that is dying back (inlcudes wilting leaves, not just dead branches) then I would be a little more concerned that there was something causeing this. There could be disease type factors or ther ecould be things like girdling roots. Those are very common in Maples.

Can you take a picture of the area? I'd be happy to look at it. Otherwise you can contact your local forester or a local tree company although tree companies are starting to charge for inspections.

If it is just dead branches and there is nothing to worry about, you can trim them off if you can do so safely or find someone who will do it for hire. DOn't climb without a rope and don't substitute a Sawzall for a proper saw. Seen that one too many times. Proper cuts will heal properly and not cause further stress.