• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GSP Large Abscess

walleyeaddict

My german has a large abscess on her side just in front of her rear hip. We have had her operated on 4 times each time draining it....but it is back again! Any ideas..suggestions..past experiences..I am stumped! i have alredy spent about 2k and the Goldmount vet clinic near sherburn wont operate anymore or stand behind their work...HELP!!

My biggest question would be why the abscess keeps refilling. I'm questioning whether there is still something inside that is not getting removed by the drainage.

My GSP (lost her this past February) developed a soft bump on her side (just in front of her rear leg) a few years ago and we had it looked at and she ended up on anti-inflammatory meds for awhile but she was still tender. Came home from X-mas shopping with the kids one afternoon and she jumps up and the thing "pops"! Now she is spraying fluid and blood out of her side while realizing something is wrong and lapping the kitchen table twice and then onto the living room. Messy!

Turned out to have been an abscess and they were guessing some sort of vegetation like a stick or reed from hunting. Not usually solid enough to see on an x-ray. They drained and cleaned it up and left a drain in her side for 3-4 days. Warned me that although they thought whatever had caused the abscess had either vacated when she burst it or when they cleaned it up they just couldn't be sure and that they figured maybe a 50% chance it wouldn't come back in which case they needed a more invasive exploratory surgery to root it out. The thing never came back so they were correct.

Never got the chance to take my girl to the Univ of MN but if you can afford it and are close enough they are top notch!