• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chirping Sparrow Adopted a House Finch Baby

mplspug

Heard some begging outside the window at the bird feeder. I looked and found a chipping sparrow and a baby house finch. The baby was almost twice the size of the chipping sparrow. That sparrow had apparently adopted the baby, because she was feeding it and the baby was following right on her tail.

So now I have all these scenarios running through my head of how it would have happened. I know many species the entire flock takes care of the fledglings once they are out of the nest, so I know it's probably not uncommon. I also know the practice starlings employ of laying their eggs in other species nests, but I doubt a finch would. It was pretty cool seeing this little guy taking care of the bigger baby.