• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird ID help

Jackpine Rob

2 weeks ago while driving in NE South Dakota, we were watching all of the waterfowl and shorebirds in the flooded fields. Quite a sight! Ducks and geese of all kinds, several species of gulls and terns, rails and herons.

One bird had me stumped, and I have had no luck finding this bird in my books. It was predominately white with some black including tips of wings and a black eyepatch. The beak was long and curved downwards, and appeared yellow to dull orange. The body was the size of your basic gull. In the high winds, the birds were all hunkered down so I didn't get to see it fly or get a good profile of the tail and wing configuration.

Some type of tern?

Anyone?

Hi Rob:

It's quite possible it is a gull or tern of some type but in a plumage not covered in your guide. Many of those species show various plumage progressions from juvenile into adult, and that can take a few years. Only one or two bird guides have thorough illustrations of the various stages. The Sibley guide is by far the most comprehensive guide to various plumages that I know of.