• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Long Lake (ramsey) Carp

First off, thanks to everyone for the great information in this forum. It's gotten me more interested in the "rough fish" species our waters have to offer.

I live by Long Lake in New Brighton and fish it fairly often because it's so close. I understand it has a decent carp population. I have caught a couple back in the rice creek inlet by the bridges. Does anyone here fish Long Lake for carp? Care to offer any suggestions on locations, presentations, or times of year? I'm only interested in hook and line. Would love to tie into some this spring.

Thanks,

Bob

Long Lake also has bigmouth buffalo in it, so be sure that you know they are carp, because bigmouths feed differently than carp and require totally different tactics. Carp feed mostly on or near the bottom, but will sometimes roll or splash at the surface, while bigmouths will cruise around just under the surface of the water, making ripples. For buffalo you want to use a float rig or floating jighead to keep your bait off the bottom, while carp can be taken best right on bottom. Bigmouths will sometimes bottom feed by standing up vertically in the water, too, so you might get both while bottom fishing.