• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new season, new fish

comicdog

I have little to no experience in fresh water. Last summer I found a small river that runs to a tiny shallow lake, 10-15 acres, that was filled with 2-4 lb Northerns mid to late summer. Thought I saw spawning beds in 3'to 4' water. Bottom is weedy with chanels cut at stream bed and flatens out to 1-3' foot water for the majority. Bottoms appears dark to me. It sits to the north of the main lake and is down stream. Does this sound like a good spot for spawning crappies?

Chances are that you are actually seeing beds from Bluegills. The Crappies will lay their eggs on emerging weeds. Bluegills typically like the sand/marl bays for their spawning sites.

Good luck and remember to practice Selective harvest,

Corey Bechtold

You should be able to determine whether or not there are crappies there in a relatively short time period. I would troll/drift through the area fan casting a plastic. If the crappies are there (and looking to actually feed) you will get bit.

You could even pitch a plastic under a float to stay in the strike zone longer.

My guess would be that those beds you saw are for sunfish.

I would guess the crappies are spawning out a little deeper because of lake size. I usually find the larger crappies holding off that first break during the spring...