• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Early?

Lunker

I am a big fan of spring crappie and panfish, but I don't usually start right at ice out. I live near a river with some backwaters that can be really good for panfishing. These areas are real shallow, and my question is how soon after ice out will the fish move up into the shallows?

It could all depend. If you have moving water they might move in earlier. Also makes a difference on lake type and bottom content. Those shallow, dark-bottomed areas might hold panfish soon after ice out. But I wouldn't expect to find much action on the hard-bottomed areas consisting of sand, rock, gravel, etc...

Some of my best ice out panfishing has taken place in back waters and pools just off the main river. Seems like the large schools of minnows will congregate in those areas and you can bet those hungry crappies will be in pursuit. Wood seems to be a good attractant this time of year as well. So maybe look for piles of brush, they've seem to hold fish for me in the past during April...

I have a question which somewhat relates to what's being talked about here (shallow water).

I'll be using my dad's boat this year and he doesn't have an electric trolling motor, but does have a 9.9 kicker motor on the back. How "stealthy" does a person need to be when fishing an area? Will moving along with the 9.9 scare them out? Should I drift until I reach the area I want to fish or use the oars if the wind isn't cooperating?

I've already seen the move into the shallows. On the lake that i've been fishing the crappies have moved into 10 FOW or less. If it gets into the 60's next the ice will be gone. Looks like it's time to prep the boat or get ready for some shore fishing grin.gif

basscatcher,

Again, it will depend on the situation. If you're targeting gills relating to or near their beds, you're not going to want to make much noise. This would be a situation where I might even break out the oars grin.gif However, we still have about a couple months until we need to worry about bedding gills.

But, for the most past, you should be fine running the 9.9 for shallow panfish. While the panfish might seem spooked, it doesn't take much for them to return and devour whatever you put in front of them. And sometimes that added noise could even work as an attractant.

However, I would work the drift whenever possible. Even with a bow-mount trolling motor we'll still work the drift whenever possible. And the disperse of noise in the water is not a huge difference between the bow-mount and 9.9 or main out-board. In fact, there have been studies where it's said that the trolling motor out-puts more noise/vibration in the water than your out-board. It has to do with the gear-box being under the water with the trolling motor, while with the out-board the only under the water is the prop. However, noise is one thing, and vibration is another, so I'm still a little skeptic on this issue...

Basscathcher

I usually start on my local lake as soon as the ice is out.I always start in 30-40ft of water(crappies) when the water temps are fairly cold and work my way shallow as the water temps increase.Some days when the water warms and then cools,one needs to move out a little deeper until the temps warm again.

I typically start by a deep break and move towards the shallows and bedding areas.There are 2 spots on this lake that have almost always given me some very nice crappies and the numbers have been nothing short of great.

I usually just use myy trolling motor and search for a sc hool,and use a paddletail or even a shrimpo or ratso and sometimes tip it with a spike.When im in the shallower depths,I will then also use a float with the jig,but in the deeper water I use only the jig with a UL rod.If you have any other questions about this lake for spring crappie fishing just e-mail me and I will tell you what I know and has been working for me.