• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

May 5th trip

jbdragon17

I just got the green light from the girlfriend to start looking for someplace the two of us can go for a weekend trip and she wants to catch some crappies!! Unfortunately I am more of a bass fisherman and am not as familiar with crappie hot spots throughout the state. I do understand Red Lake has really nice crappies. I will probably check out some lodges/cabins to stay at there. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Upper Red should be as good as any, if not better. I did not do well up there this winter but I didn't have the luxory of being mobile as the high temp. was 14 below. I've read many posts from folks who were mobile and got away from the crowds on the ice and did very well. Good luck.

The past 5-6 years I've been making 1-2 trips to Red for the open water crappie fishing. The first few times we went the first weekend of May but now we're going later, like the third weekend, mainly becasue of the weather, the later you go, the nicer the weather. If you go the first weekend, take snowmobile suits and stocking caps, and be prepared to get blown off the lake, at times it really rocks and rolls. Maybe thats what you're hoping for, a little cabin time with the girlfriend!!!! smile.gif