• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PUP with GAS.......taking the paint off the walls........P-U!!!!!!!!!!

FrontenacPike

My 9 month old Springer has the worst swamp butt. Since I brought her home for the first day she's been eating Purina Puppy Science diet.

Just recently within a month or so she starting, rippin some bad ones after she eats, for about 2 hours or so. I'm just wondering if its time to take her off the puppy diet or if she still on course and this is just the exhaust I have to look forward to everytime I put her dish in front of her.

Just a little insite she donsn't get table scraps and nothing in her diet has changed. I'm the kind of guy who can handle a good fart, I have buddies and sit in the bar. But this is rediculas, she's letting one go about every 5 minutes.

I'm really baffeled why she is all of a sudden cursed with such a stinky butt. Has anyone ever attempted to train a dog not to fart indoors? Anybody have any suggestions other than a clothes pins.

Sorry for your dilemma and I don't have any answers for you, but I do have to thank you. Your thread made my morning start out with a nice laugh. grin.gif My Lab every once in a while has a gas issue and your thread made me picture him letting them go and acting like nothing happened while I'm choking crazy.gif

"hooks"

At 9 months there is no problem switching to a high quality adult dog food. Most Premium adult dog foods are 3X's better than the puppy food of twenty years ago. It can be caused by too rich of a diet. Are you feeding Purina Puppy chow or Science diet?

As far as other possible reasons for gas, take a stool sample in and have the vet check it for parasites. Clostridium is a bacterial infection that causes loose stools and stinky feces and gas... they get it from drinking stagnant or standing water... Worms can cause additional gas from the waste they produce... Cochcidiosis is another etc...

Good Luck!

Ken

I'm pretty sure the food I've been feeding her is the purina "puppy chow". I'm thinking that the food is too rich and thats why the odor. But then again you mentioned in your post about loose stool. Every now and again she'll have it but it's not everytime she defficates. Tonight I'm gonnna get her started on a new diet and if that dosn't clean up the swamp butt then I'll be taking a sample to the vet. Thanks for the help

Just a quick update, I've swithced her food to Purina adult science diet. For the most part she done with the gas. I do believe she outgrew her puppy food and it was just too rich for her age. For all that responed with advise...Thanks.

OK one more quick topic how do you train a pup not too [PoorWordUsage] when shes mad at you. We are having a heck of a time getting her from [PoorWordUsage]ing inside the house. Normally she only [PoorWordUsage]s after she eats breakfast and supper. She's got us trained and we let her out at these times. I'm thinking she is jellous of my girlfriend. When ever we head up stairs with out her she will leave us a suprise in the kitchen. This week she is getting Spayeded, will that take care of some of this Alpha female thing. tongue.gif