• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's That Crappie Time of Year

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

We have been having a blast catching nice crappies.

dennissteele-crappiejigdemon022706french

Dennis Steele Knows Crappies Too!!

We've caught a few very small ones or I should say Matt Johnson has.

mattjohnson-crappietiny022006french.jpg

You guys all believe him with his finesse set-up well now you see what it gets him wink.gif

Seriously though if you look around and are not stuck on trying the same old you can get into some very nice fish and a very good bite when crowds are on the smaller lakes.

I kid you not. I seriously am tring differant lures but that Gold Jigging Demon still keeps bringing in the best and most. The best time of year is upon us and likely to be short. Get out while you can.

Here are a couple more pictures:

rick-crappiejigdemon022706french.jpg

matt-crappiet022706fatfryfrench.jpg

Matt Paquin -Crappie Caught with Fat Fry

Not much ice time left and the best is coming. Hope I see you out there.

If you see any FMers or HSOers out fishing be sure to stop by and say hello and share all your secrets cool.gif

Rick, I know that jig well and as well am a big fan of the gold jiggin demon. I also like the firetiger. I use the number 4 for the slabs. I can not tell if yours is a 4 or the smaller 6.

Gold is also a walleye getter on lake of the woods. Of course when the bite in on at LOW anything with a minnow will work. But I am still partial to gold.

That background you have there looks a lot like the background of several other pictures you posted a week or so ago. If you were on the same body of water, my grand parents have a summer cabin on the lake and I know it has a good population of crappie!

Nice catchin' guys!! Especially Matt- That's a LUNKER smile.gif

It's a portable house BRK and moves very quickly once the crowds move in. smile.gif

It was a #4 Gold Jigging Demon. I'm going to try a 1/16 oz firetiger Go Devil. I've tried everything else, I don't know why I missed that one smile.gif

If anyone sees us out fishing feel free to join in as long as you're quiet about it with noise on the ice if we're on fish smile.gif

Well, I had the competition with the Go Devils vs the Jigging Demons today.

As you likley know by now the Jigging Demon has been the hot lure for crappies outfishing all others and I thought I had tried everything to compete with it and it won hands down - UNTIL I remembered the 1/16 oz Go Devil.

Well, the Go Devil outfished the Jigging Demon 8 fish to 6 Fish today.

1/16th oz Go Devil Crappie

matt-crappiet030306go-devil-french.jpg

For those who think you have to finesse Crappies, here is a small crappie caught on a 1/16th oz Go Devil

go-devil-smallcrappie.jpg

1/16th oz Go Devil Crappie

rick-crappie-go-devil-030306french.jpg

DO NOT be afraid to upsize when going after crappies. We also had a waxie and Optic Stealth Jig going and only 1 crappie was caught on it. The Optic Stealth has a time and place for sure and I wouldn't go out without it. But for now

The 1/16th oz Go Devil Should be in your bag of tricks for March Crappies.

Here are some pics from the Zumbro Zinger:

j-11&3-4crappie-030706zumbro.jpg

John with a 11 3/4" Zumbro Crappie

Caught on a Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso.

annabelle-crappie-opticstealth-030706zum

Annabelle with crappie she caught

on a Little Atom Optic Stealth Jig.

The lake Zumbro is a reservour on the Zumbro River. There is not a lot of current moving through it righ now but the crappies seem to be on the move from their normal winter haunts.

It's very likely they are roaming around prior to setting up for their spring feeding binge and slowly moving towards the slightly warmer water where there is some current flowing in.

They wanted sized down baits today like the Ratso and Eurolarva that took the bigger crappie above.

be sure to have the Go Devils - 1/8 oz and 1/16 oz. Some jigging Demons in size 4 and 6. Ratso's and Shrimpos as well as the Optic Stealth and Wolfram jigs.

All of the above baits will make excellant spring crappie and sunfish baits that you can cast or fish under a bobber.

I will be showing you fish caught on these along with some of the plastics we talked about last year.

Get a supply and get out ice fishing now and be prepared for some of the best fishing of the year coming up in April and May.

We'll fill you in on the techniques we are using as we catch fish using them.

Get out and have some fun! smile.gif