• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saved the day (pics incl)

Steve Foss

Never fails that when I hit the woods searching for wolves, moose, lynx and fisher, and hit the big goose egg, there are two species of birds that always cooperate. Two from today.

Canon 20D, 100-400L image stabilizer, 400mm, iso200, f5.6, 1/640 sec.

chickflutters.jpg

1/1600 sec.

nuthatchflies.jpg

1/2500 sec

perfect portrait.jpg

No Tom, no polarizer. I tend to leave it off unless I know I'm going to be shooting reflective surfaces such as sun-drenched water, bright snow or wet leaves. The 100-400L is a slow lens, only opening to f5.6 at 400mm, and I don't want to give up a stop or two that using a polarizer involves unless I can't avoid it. Polarizers also darken the whole image indiscriminately, so it's great to enrich highlights but can turn shadows dead. Unless you've got reflection to deal with, you can do as much to control bright lighting with exposure as you can with the polarizer. And, though the polarizer does yield somewhat more saturated colors, you can achieve that with a simple application of saturation in post processing.

The lens offers nice clarity, excellent contrast and color saturation, as do all the L lenses.