• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few of my buddies were at pickerel over the weeekend. They caught alot of small walleyes only a few keepers, few keeper perch. Small vingilas with waxies over rock beds.They also tried Waubay south side for a few hrs sat eve hit 4 keeper eyes threw a few back.

Percher,

I don't have any recent reports, but I have landed pails full of crappies at this time of year. I heard reports early this ice season including limits of slabs from my old hot spots. I know the perch bit has been consistents as well.

Look at a map and find these rock humps. Then find the deeper water adjacent to them. Fish on the deep end of the break, and look for fish to suspend at the depth of the shallower rock pile hump. A flasher is a must as schools will come through suspended at different depths. You might even tie into a suspended pike or two.

Pickerel is a great lake with much less traffic than some of the others in the area. My personal best on the lake is 1 fish short of a 3 species limit day. I can't say that about many lakes (if any?)

Any tips for pickeral. I have only fished it once through the ice. Which direction of the landing. What are the ice conditions here. I know I sound like a worry wart but I am coming up for 6 days and want to be sure. Any tips on best depth or anything would be appreciated.

There are some good crappie places to try directly East of the West landing. Also look towards the South a bit. You might try to get in the 25+ FOW range where there is shallower water nearby. There are rock humps that come up about 10 feet from the surrounding water. You might find luck on top of these humps, or in the deeper water adjacent to them. There are maps available on the SD DNR HSOforum. I can email you one if you are having troubles finding it.

Ratso, I will be there fishing starting this thursday morning. I had been driving on the lake for the previous three weeks up to last and my buddy was driving and fishing on pickerel this past weekend. he said the ice conditions had improved from the previous week. Deeper than a long handled ice dipper. The first four inches not to solid but after that real good. Fishing has been steady for us there as long as you are on the rocks like Tyler says. I can really tell if I am in a good spot when I am reading a good foot and a half of red bottom.I put my jig down it will disappear in the red but still not be on the bottom for another foot or two. You will be able to see fish as little flickers in the red zone they will follow your jig up and out and just nudge your jig, bang ice em. Let me know when you will be up.