• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A "new spin" on no spin

CrappieJohn

I have been a Marmmoska fan for a couple years now, especiall when things get tough and downsizing has been an issue. The onl drawback to those little lures was that they tended to twist the heck out of the line over time. I mean, really bad line twist.

Sunday found me at Washington Lake near Mankato enjoying some very good company but a cold front and wind made the fishing a little tough to figure out at first. While I normally like to begin with a more aggresive presentation to snoop out wide awake crappies, it took only a second to figure out that this was not going to get any attention where we set up, so out came the spring rods and the small stuff.

I got my hands on some of the Little Atom products, namely the Optic jig and the companion jig the Optic Stealth. Both of these styles of jigs got some serious water time and I can say that they are sweet. At times I had some finesse plastic threaded on , other times saw the plastic with a euro and yet at other times I simply stuck a euro thru the middle and let it hang. All three presentations caught fish and every color I tried caught fish. What became very apparent right away was that they did not twist up the line. They did not sit down in the water and spin like a helicotor rotor.

I don't want to sound commercial here, but what I want to emphasize regardless of your jig choice is the need to watch how that jig is acting in the water. Often times a jig that appears to have killer potential just doesn't get results. Take some time after fishing it to watch it just under the water in your hole. If is spins, take it off. Spinning jigs are way less likely to take fish if movement is an issue. It does little good to finesse a jig hanging in front of a sunfish with lockjaw if it is spinning around on the line.

Jigs of poor quality are not balanced well and tend to spin when jigged. To up your hooking and catching percentages, take a look at what you are using and whether it spins. The jig you are using may appear to be a killer, but it may be keeping fish from hitting.

Just something to think about.......

Very interesting read CT and something to think about. Back a few years ago I can remember using smaller lures , Marmooska's and some of the original lindy panfish baits and they really did twist up my line. There really wasn't anything else on the market at the time and I guess I wasn't smart enough to understand how to untwist the twist....that's a catchy phrase wink.gif

It's nice there are some new products on the market that will solve the twist in the line problem. I've fished with twisting lines before....what a pain. The fish just won't bite sometimes when the jigs is a twirlin' down below. Believe me, when I say it is frustrating as heck when you can't do a thing about it & you know the fish are willing to bite.

Well now you can, good luck! cool.gif