• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki Vinson......anybody?

LMITOUT

I went back quite a ways in this section but didn't see a lot of chatter about the Suzuki Vinson or any Suzuki for that matter. Does anybody own one? Suzuki is one of the best ATV's out there and has been for quite some time, but it seems that in MN it's dominated by Polaris, mainly because they are made here IMO. I think Suzi's are vastly overlooked.

So anyway, are there any thoughts on the Vinson 500? I'm looking at a 2006 automatic and wanted to hear good and bad about it. I know it doesn't have the independent rear suspension, but like the fact that I can put a heavier tongue weight on the rear without bottoming out the suspension. No locker front end either.

The Suzuki Vinson is at the top of the 500 class.You can get it as an auto or a foot shift.The foot shifter is supposed to give some of the 600 class machines a run for their money,while the auto is a little slower.I own a 05 Suzuki Kingquad myself and after a year it has proven itself so far.(other than the annoying recalls!)I have towed some heavy trailers with the King and have not had any trouble at all other then a little squat in the rear,but I also have my rear shocks set at the lightest setting.I plow with this machine also and it plows great!

I have a 400 eiger and so far I am impressed. I hear you about the "unknown suzuki in Minnesota". My Polaris buddy thought I totally lost my mind when I showed him my new toy. However, he doesn't laugh when I keep up to him on his 700 polaris. Granted he is a little faster, but not $3000 faster and I can go where ever he can go. If you check out some internet sites / forums you will see that Suzuki's are always rated at or near the top in their class. I also like the straight rear axle, it feels sporty on the trail, and handles the fishhouse effortlessly. Although my eiger does not have a true "locker" button, whenever i have been in need all 4 wheels are turning. I think you will be happy with a Vinson. Good luck and enjoy the shopping.

I had a 2001 Vinson auto. The manual wasn't available at that time.

One thing I can tell you is that over time Suzuki has had trouble with the frame cracking. A search in several ATV forums will shed light on this. I didn't have mine long enough to know if the frame cracked or not. But the problem area on the Vinson was on the top motor mounts.

On the other hand, the Vinson was a great handling quad and would outrun the Polaris Sportsman that I had before the Vinnie. The steering was incredibly light for a ute, so be careful as it can get you into trouble.....FAST.

If Suzuki has addressed the frame problems, I would suggest this machine over any other 500 class machine out there. But for a few more $$$, you can have the potent Kawi 650.

Thanks for the replies. I knew there would be a couple that crawled out of the woodwork.

I've read about the cracked frames also, but I'm suspicious at the abuse they sustained to cause this. I think people forget what these machines are for, and that's not jumping ditches.

I've got my short list and it's either the Black Vinson auto or the Grizzly SE auto. They are only $200 apart. The Grizz has the 660, but bigger isn't a major concern for me.

Quote:

Why not buy an artic cat and save money....they run the suzuki engine and i've never had a problem with mine.

No money savings there.....the 500 Cat is a grand more than the Suzi and I've called everywhere. $7100 for a 500? No thanks.

I must of got a heck of a deal, I just bought a 2006 arctic cat 500 auto and paid $6395.00 for it, check with the AC

dealer in Litch. If you are looking at a 500 LE then the price is around $7200.00, also bought a Warn 2500 winch for $269.00 from the same dealer and installed it myself.

Yes, the $7100 equals the 500LE. Only $300 less for the non-LE.

Litch didn't have anything that cheap. Could have got an 05 500 for under $6K, but there are none left. He even checked around for me.

Better built? That's subjective I suppose. I have no problem with the Cat, except the price. Even the Cat dealer admitted they were surprised by how much they want for them compared to similar sizes of different brands. I don't get hung up on the "made in MN" line as some do and it seems to cloud the vision a little.

Did you give Gander a call? I'd be real interested to see how their prices hold up to say Tousley or Heinens. This sounds a little crazy but did you know that there are some local dealers that are selling new machines on hsolist?

Quote:

Did you give Gander a call? I'd be real interested to see how their prices hold up to say Tousley or Heinens.

They hold up the high end quite nicely. smirk.gif

You other guys got some great deals. I'm not having much luck. Going back to look at the Yammy again right now.

Quote:

yeah...buying local would be stupid..... why support the state you live in......that would be stupid......let's support another country........I guess the clouds are effecting my judgement.........

Don't forget that the motor in your Cat is made by Suzuki.

Although Yamaha is based in Japan, they are built in Georgia if that makes anybody feel better.

Better built???? bigger is better right???? NOT!!! the Vinson weighs in at just 606lbs...wats a cat weigh 700+???? True they have the same Engine...but they have different exhaust & carbs// The Suzuki is not as cold blooded//starts better & will run circles round the cat.. better handling..Ive never heard of any frame issues on them. I have a 2003...and it has seen tons of abuse and never had a problem.. The only thing Cat has on the Vinson is ground clearance...Although if your towing your gonna lose it anyways...Just my 2 cents but Id buy another in a heart beat & doubt you'd have any regrets

Please, I don't want this to turn into a Chevy vs Ford debate. I know it gets personal when guys start grunting about their toys and it doesn't need to go that direction. Just some honest opinions without the hot sauce would be just fine. grin.gif

Thanks!

Suzukihas a plant in georgia & also california I believe....how many of your american made machines are built with parts from somewhere else??? dont get me wrong buying american is great...Polaris atv engines comes from over seas as well...

If your looking at a Yamaha Grizzly that is also an excellent choice of machine.Plenty of power and great ride as well.Arctic cats have 10.25 inches of travel at all four corners,but as Pikechaser says the Vinson will run circles around it in the handling dept.Arctic cats are big,heavy,and more utility than sport.Where you get more sport then utility with the Vinson,(although the Vinson is an excellent worker as well)I guess it depends on your uses and riding style?

Have a 2003 vinnie from new. Love it. Keeps up and challenges all the competitors nicely. Back in 03' got mine new for $5395. Have herd of the frame crack issues and have looked into it. From what I have found it starts with the upper motor mount breaking from the frame and it is an eay fix if it happens. Have run mine hard and light, no jumping, and have had no problems yet. My second choise is the Grizzly too. for no front locker, mine seems too kick in every time I check before and after getting stuck (still run the factory tires)and pulling the fish house (with rear chains). They also sell a gearless Detroit locker for $300 that is said to be better than the switch type

To each their own as the saying goes......My feeling is why not buy and support the state you live in...as far as my statement as arctic cat being a better machine.....again my personal feeling....but to say that i don't have all the facts is assnine...i've researched both and came up with these conclussions not pull them from my butt.

Yep, everyone believes that the purchase THEY make is the best one for THEIR needs which leads to the defense of that purchase and there isn't anything wrong with that. Like you said, to each their own. A lot of times it's all in the way someone justifies their loyalty....blanket statements of it's the fastest, biggest, strongest typically don't hold a lot of water. But saying it's one of the fastest, one of the biggest, one of the strongest out there doesn't come across as defensive. Internet speak makes it sometimes hard to judge one's true intentions and generally leads to arguements that don't need to happen. Like I said earlier, boys and their toys are hard to seperate and will fight to the end to prove theirs are better than yours.

That being said, it's bear season I just pulled the trigger on a Grizzly! Picking it up this afternoon. grin.gif

I have been looking at all brands, I saw mention of Cat prices and they are differnt then what I've seen. I found a 2006 500 in green,lime, or red for $6372.43 after taxes and that includes a 2 year extended warranty ( 4 years total warranty)