• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BUG HATCH???

panfried

Read some articles recently that talked about bug hatches taking place this winter due to the lack of ice and snow cover. Is this unusual or even possible for that matter? I am wondering if it is possible, has it had an effect on the fishing this winter? Just looking for an excuse as to why i haven't caught much this year. tongue.gif

usually, what is called a "hatch" is when aquatic nymphs emerge from the water, dry thier wings, mate, and die. This won't happen while a lake is frozen. However, when there is more light penetration thru the ice, the plants continue to live and produce oxygen, so aquatic insects will be more active.

Hope this helps! cool.gif

All waters play host to an untold number of aquatic insects and other "mirco life" like zooplankton. Under the ice is not a barren sea of just fish trying to eek out an existance. The fish feed quite well actually for the most part on this small stuff. Moon phases, available-light factors, time of year, water depth, water temperature....the list goes on....are but a few of the things that control how and when hatches of each specie of bug will hatch and show itself. Some emerge almost nightly. Some have specific time periods within the course of the year that hatching will occur.

With the lack of serious snow cover and the moderate temps we have witnesses this winter, it is feasible to see warm enough water temps to trigger a hatch even of winged insects that are not seen unless the water is open.

Nothing would amaze me this winter.