• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hawk quiz

buzzsaw

I am by no means a Hawk or Falcon expert so I am going to ask you to name these? The bird with the bricks in the background was very small and very fast!

Shakopee bird

mystery bird2.JPG

Fort Snelling bird

6324000-R1-051-83192.JPG

Backyard bird

hawk in backyard.JPG

Eagan bird

Redtailhawkonperch2.JPG

No. 1: Gyrfalcon or peregrine falcon. Can't estimate size and some other characteristics from the image.

No. 2: Red-tailed hawk.

No. 3: Looks like a red-shouldered hawk. The coloring/pattern looks right, and the tail is banded.

No. 4: Red-tailed hawk.

I am clueless on the top one, I was guessing a Peregrine Falcon myself, Tom and I have both seen it but it's lightning fast! The thing had a ton of detail in it and had the ducks quacking like crazy! I was in one area when all the sudden the ducks were getting upset and my senses told me to check out the skies and I did and didn't see anything... I forgot to look behind me in the trees!! So about two minutes later I turned to walk up the hill and shazaam this thing bolts straight away from me towards this tunnel and disappears inside!! I was like DARN!! I should have looked and gotten a good pic in the tree and man was it fast I hope my picture flying away turns out.... I was pretty much 0 for 2! Next time I hear the commotion I'll be more in tune. I wasn't sure if that one Hawk was a Sharp Shinned, Red Tail or Red Shouldered... I was leaning towards Sharp shinned but I don't know... are you pretty certain that it's a Red Shouldered?

PS. Cool Avatar with the Trout

While size isn't discernable in the top image, I believe it's too heavy-bodied for a merlin, though it does remain a possiblity. I'm reasonably sure the third one is a red-shouldered because it fits most of the Sibley field marks for one. Also note the white on the back of the bird. The sharp-shinned and Cooper's, which in the males do have the red barring and streaking on the undersides, have solid slaty-gray backs.

Think you're right about both, Steve. We've had both Cooper's & sharp shinned here and as you point out the males have gray backs. They're also more slender than the hawk in the 3rd pic. Easier to tell that in flight tho. I was thinking merlin too on the little gray hawk but as you said, the body is heavier than that and guessing at size relative to the blocks, I'd lean towards peregrine. Merlins aren't much different in size than a kestrel. That and the white underneath from the rear/side view fit with the Peterson guide. Yeah I know, I gotta get my Sibley guide(s) ordered yet. There are several I'd like to get. Business expense, right? wink.gif

I'll just throw out that it's that time of the year when dem birdies are at their fluffiest. Maybe not so much flying, but when at rest they seem to look a lot larger than they do during other times of the year. Just like fluffing up the down sleeping bag to make it warmer. Maybe it's time to attend a little cocktail hour at Dangerfields and try to get another glimpse of that top bird??? grin.gif

I'll bow to Duffman's superior knowledge of Dangerfield's. grin.gif

But while birds are very fluffed up to take advantage of added air pockets between feathers for insulation in cold weather, I think you'll find it's quite rare for that to be the case in steady flight. Duff alluded to that. Almost always, the fluffed up birds are at rest. Aerodynamics make it darn near impossible for feathers to stay fluffed while flying, and you'll note the top bird is quite sleek-looking. I have seen merlins that color, though, which is why I think it remains a possibility. Too many unknowns to be definitive, I reckon. grin.gif

I have to give partial credit to Dark30, my Dangerfield's drinking buddy. laugh.gif Actually, your worded description took me right to the spot with the fact that it was in Shakopee, the picture just confirmed it.

Jeez! No wonder you guys get such great shots of waterfowl!I suppose ya also bring a bucket of corn with?! grin.giflaugh.gifgrin.gif lol

stcatfish.....

Oh yea, congrats on the big laker day, that had to be a good time.